Cryogenic Research & Development Engineer
In this role, you will focus primarily on cryogenic application of thermodynamics, heat transfer, fluid mechanics, and structural mechanics to develop and advance cryocooler products and technologies. Your responsibilities will include, but are not limited to:
- General design activities such as requirements management, materials and component selection, Design Failure Modes and Effects Analysis (FMEA), and tolerance analyses.
- Detailed design, analysis, and testing of system components such as cryocoolers, cryogenic vessels, cryostats, cryogenic transfer lines and other specialized systems.
- Develop systems thermal models to describe all heat paths and create new designs to meet allowable heat budgets.
- Developing and executing design verification activities, including analysis, similarity, and testing.
- Developing new processes, methods, and ways of working.
- Documenting design inputs and outputs.
- Assisting and/or directing the development of prototypes.
- Reviewing and ensuring adequacy of vendor qualification activities.
- Analyzing field issues related to cryogenic design and providing solutions where required.
- Actively participating in multidisciplinary project teams through all phases of product development to ensure successful execution of innovative and best-in-class designs.
To succeed in this role, you should have the following skills and experience
- B.Sc., M.Sc., or Ph.D in Mechanical Engineering or Physics
- 5+ years of experience applying engineering principles to solve complex problems related to thermal/fluid systems and/or cryogenics
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Demonstrated strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Demonstrated use of advanced analysis tools to solve complex problems at the appropriate level of detail – Finite Element Analysis (FEA), Finite Difference, and/or Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD)
- Ability to provide technical leadership in ambiguous situations
- Software tools –SINDA/FLUINT, Thermal Desktop, SINAPS, ANSYS APDL, ANSYS Workbench, Autodesk Inventor, AutoCAD, LabView, Maple or Mathematica.
- Programming – Python, Fortran, C++, Microsoft VBA
- Experience working with cryogenic systems, cryostats, and/or cryocoolers
- Experience working with ASME Boiler Pressure Vessel Code
- Experience with heat exchanger design
- Hands on experience with fabrication methods such as machining, welding, brazing, soldering, forming, etc.
- Hands on experience performing lab testing and data acquisition
- Solid understanding of Geometric Dimensioning & Tolerancing
Must be authorized to work in the U.S. without sponsorship (citizen or green card holder.)
To apply please send your resume to email@example.com